Day 10 - Kaye - From a Failure to a Fabulous Find!!

7:35 PM


A serious wardrobe malfunction turned into a fabulous find today.

This isn't how I left the house this morning. When I got to church, I got out the car, took a quick look at my reflection in the car window to make sure my hair was still on point. I turned towards the church door and sashayed right into the church lobby. Moving in hurried steps to make it to an early meeting, I was stopped by another church member to inform me that my skirt was unzipped. I reached around to try and zip it, and realized that my ENTIRE zipper had ripped from the back of the skirt.

I ran to the restroom, all the while praying that there was something I could do to save my skirt, at least until after church. I had a bunch of safety pins on deck! I took it off in the bathroom to get a better look at the damage. And damaged, it was! There was absolutely nothing that could be done to repair the zipper, without a sewing machine or a good seamstress who could work quickly with his or her hands.

I was a bit devastated. I REALLY wanted to wear that skirt and top today. It was a super cute, vintage look. I can't upload the pic now, because I'm almost positive I've going to get it repaired and wear it next week! Of course, I'll re-take photos then. :)

It was about a half hour from start time for service. I had to think fast. So at the last minute, I made a mad dash to my nearest Value Village (1.78 miles from my church), rummaged through the dresses and within about seven minutes, I had this 80s vintage BEAUTY!

I picked up another dress as well, and I'm not sure it'll make the final cut in my closet. I just needed a back up in case this one didn't work.

The dress: A 1980s black turtleneck midi-dress with brown/tan suede shoulder patches. (I don't know technical fashion terms. You can actually see what I'm trying to describe by simply looking at the photos I attached.)

And the dress is BAD!!! Bad....as in GOOD.

From the time I walked into church (about 45 minutes late), I received compliment after compliment about how great the dress looked. Admittedly, I was initially upset about the whole morning (understandably so, I hope). However, my day was finally made when someone at the church said I looked like a "rich white lady" (their words, I got it. So laugh); and when someone else sarcastically asked if I had just come off the "Pretty Woman" set with Julia Roberts. I laughed at them both, and smiled all day long, from that point on.

Anwho, here's what I wore...







Black turtleneck midi-dress with brown suede shoulder patches -  $7.49
Value Village Thrift Store, Memorial Drive.

Black pumps with ankle straps - $0
My Mama's Closet, Somewhere in Georgia

Vintage LV Speedy Bad - $0
My Auntie's Closet                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Needlesstosay, I was fashionably late to church...literally! But at least I was fly, even with the last minute change of wardrobe plans.

- Kaye
@okkKaye

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *